18 May 2010

Vientiane

For a capital city, it is completely dead. I don't think that I have ever seen a major city with so little traffic. Especially after all the craziness of Vietnam, it really feels dead. So we're only spending about 24 hours here, and we've already hit all the important sights...a couple wats, the Lao national monument, and two museums.

Several of the wats in Vientiane look brand new, or at least newly renovated, which is pretty neat to see. At the same time, though, there is something about their pristine-ness that really reminds me of DisneyLand...over-the-top and ephemeral. I tink it is the large amount of gold leaf used in the decorations.

Today we are traveling to the south of Laos to Tha Khaek, and from there, we are hoping to tour this creepy 7 km cave. Apparently it is so long, that you have to take a boat ride through it. Spooky! I keep singing, "Never smile at a crocodile," you know, because of the cave in Peter Pan. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment