16 June 2010

Boats!

Being from Kansas officially makes me a landlubber.  But the Mekong Delta is full of boats!  Including this paper one that one of Liz's friends, Nhan, taught me how to make and sail.  






That's me.  Sailing my landlubber boat.  The stiff breeze definitely helps.




When I say that the Mekong Delta is full of boats, I mean it.  This junk boat was on display at the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology.  This boat holds 26 people... or is it 52?  There are too many oars for me to keep them straight.  But if I remember correctly, it's got 1 person per oar (so that's 2 per bench), and you can try counting the oars yourself.  Apparently, they still have races in these boats every year at some village festivals.   As a rower, the thought makes my head hurt.  




And, of course, no boat post would be complete without a mention of our BE-A-U-TIFUL boat in Ha Long Bay.  Bamboo wicker deck furniture and lush greenery abounded, along with teak and silk decor.




It only held 4 passengers and 6 crew, and it was the best boat ever.  I want to go back, just so I can spend more time on my pretty boat.  




But of course, before our trip to Ha Long Bay was complete, we had to swap boats.  Above is the view of our pretty boat from the not-so-pretty boat.  




Come back, Pretty Boat!  Come back!!!  Take me with you!!




I guess the not-so-pretty boat was ok.  You can see it in the background of this picture.  But here, we get to ride in a bamboo boat.  Again, as a rower, even thinking about moving a boat in this way makes my head hurt. (Not to mention my back, shoulders, and upper arms)


And this is the rigger for that adorable little bamboo boat that took us into the pretty little cove which you haven't seen.  A rigger.  Made of rope.  I just...I'm speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment