30 September 2010

Being Legal

So I visited the police station today to finish up the process of getting my residency card. It was actually kind of a terrifying process, not because it was difficult or anything, but rather because Spain is incredibly bureaucratic.

According to people who live here, life is papers, papers, and more papers, and if you somehow need any sort of government document, you have to make sure that you have EVERY SINGLE form that you need, because if you're missing one, they will make you leave and not come back.

This was the penultimate step in a series of I-don't-know-how-many, and if I had forgotten something, it could have really delayed the process of getting my card, and could have potentially made me an illegal immigrant. Hence the terror.

However, all went well. They took my fingerprints and my pictures, along with the receipt for a fee that I paid on Tuesday and told me to come back in a month to retrieve my card. So now, I just have to wait.

1 comment: