19 September 2010

La Noche en Blanco (Part II)

Perhaps my favorite part of the night was the very first thing we (Christina, Miguel, and I) saw: The ginormous Swatch-sponsored Twister board in the Plaza del Colon (or as they called it that night, Swister!). Look at it! Doesn't it look tripping?


Can't you hear the smooth sounds of "Relax!" playing in the background while Mugatu brainwashes Zoolander into killing the Prime Minister of Malaysia?

Once they let people on the mat, though, things got a little wild. Of course, most people were standing pretty close to their groups of friends, but then there would be big expanses of space in between groups, so it was fun to see how people dealt with their cramped space on what was not in any way a cramped board.


And of course, my favorite thing of the night was this:


This kid was running/rolling around all over the mat, and he was so funny that I just had to get a picture.

Oh yeah, that's right, when I saw that it's a city-wide street party, I mean it's a city-wide street party. Kids included. All night long. When I was going home at 1 AM (early, I know, but I wanted to make sure I got back before the metro shut down), there were several young children (like, under 5) out with their parents, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, getting ready to start the night. I know for a fact that when I was that age, there was no way on earth you were keeping me up past my bedtime. Flat out or out flat, man.

1 comment: