11 September 2010

NYU in Madrid

The NYU in Madrid campus is two tiny houses (back-to-back) joined by a patio. Of course, the houses have been remodeled so that they serve quite well as offices and classrooms, but that doesn't mean that the space isn't pretty tight for the 100 or so people who are a part of this little expat community.



The patio is potentially my favorite place. I think that it is pretty much everyone's favorite place, since I can walk onto the patio and feel like I am back on a college campus (which is basically what it is). It's really quite a wonderful place to hang out, and I'm just sad that I won't be able to enjoy sitting out here all year 'round, since it actually gets cold in the winter in Madrid.



The graduate student welcome reception was potentially the most crowded that I have seen the patio. There were lots of hors d'oeuvres, tapas, and other delicious treats, and I think that at the moment I snapped this picture, one of the professors accidentally got her high heels wedged in the space between the teak slats. Whoopsies!


 But perhaps my favorite thing about the patio is this little demi-roof, quite low to the ground, where this little puppy dog was resting one day. I think that captures what a patio is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment