02 November 2010

Seville & Córdoba (Part III)


Next up: The Cathedral! It's kind of ginormous, in case you can't tell from this picture:


It's also really pretty on the outside, once you kind of get up close. Since it's so big and my camera's so small, my close-up isn't that close, but it's good enough for government work!


And of course, the bell tower is the best part. You might know it as La Giralda. There's a miniature version of it in Kansas City, but trust me, the real thing just can't be beat. 


I didn't get to walk up it this time, but as I recall, it was quite a climb! La Giralda was the minaret of the mosque that existed in this spot before there was a ginormous cathedral. The Christians decided that it would make a cool belltower, and I definitely agree with them, although the campanile that they added doesn't quite match the rest of the building. 




 And like all cathedrals, it's ginormous on the inside. It might actually be one of the most impressively large cathedrals I've ever been in. The whole point of cathedral is to draw the eye upward, and let's just say that the architects achieved their aim in this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment