21 January 2011

NYR #20: Eat a serving of patatas bravas in the mythic Las Bravas

So...when we ducked out of the concert at Café Central, we were on the lookout for some food. Not that they didn't have food at Central, but somehow we could see it being way more expensive than it should have been.

So we left. And on our way back to Sol, we walked by Las Bravas. Laura had told me that this was one of the items on the list that I should maybe consider ignoring, because the last time she ate at Las Bravas, their potatoes weren't very good. But I said that it was here, I was hungry, so I might as well try it.

The restaurant was ORANGE! Clearly, it's a sign. 


Spanish food and I currently have a love-hate relationship. It's is generally quite delicious, but often very repetitive, and NEVER EVER spicy. Like never.

(Since moving into my own apartment 21 days ago, I've used about a half a bottle of black pepper just cooking for myself. That should give you an idea of just how much spice I was lacking in my life over the past 5 months). 

So, when Las Bravas opened a while ago, they were the first to put a somewhat (read: only slightly) spicy sauce on their potatoes, and they were super-popular. Now, you can get patatas bravas in just about any restaurant, and the amount of spiciness will always vary wildly. The ones in Las Bravas aren't the spiciest I've had, but they definitely had a bit of zing, which is always good.

Me and my Fanta Naranja with the patatas bravas

 I scarfed them down quite quickly. Not gonna lie. 

5 comments:

  1. This is good bc I didnt know the history behind my fav food at the tapas restaurants stateside. The spicier the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new look . . . orange of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Vic--As far as I'm aware, Las Bravas is the inventor of patatas bravas. That said, they don't really make them very spicy. And I agree with you wholeheartedly...the spicier the better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember when you never ate New Mexican food because it was spicy and we had to order you chicken fingers instead. That was sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sadly, bro, I do. but college cured me of that. I also remember when I wouldn't eat Taco Bell for the same reason. But I've grown up now, and my taste buds have, too.

    And I am finding myself adding cayenne pepper to almost everything I make. YUM!

    ReplyDelete