27 March 2011

NYR #1: See the gardens at Atocha

So, when I first read the list, I didn't really know what this one was. I knew what Atocha was (It's Madrid's main train station, set in this lovely old building), but I had NO IDEA where to find the gardens. I figured that they would be outside, but Atocha is set between several main thoroughfares, and it really didn't seem like the place for a garden.

So when friend Aubrey and I headed to Toledo on Thursday, we left from Atocha. I had made the mistake of not getting the tickets beforehand, so we missed the train we were aiming for and had to chill in the station for a bit.

We used that time to check a couple of things off the list, including finding these mysterious gardens.

First, we went outside to see if there were maybe some gardens out there, but all we found were these giant baby heads.



Then, when we decided that they weren't outside, we headed back in to check out the memorial to 11 March, chill in a cafe for a bit, and buy some postcards.

While we were buying postcards, Aubs found a really pretty one that showed a bunch of palm trees in the middle of a building. She asked me what it was. I took one look at it and recognized the building.

"Those are the gardens of Atocha!"

Now that I had seen a picture, I knew exactly where they were, and we went off in search of them.

Aren't they pretty?




2 comments:

  1. Hi Diana,
    cool pics and articles
    how much longer are you going to be the tour guide in spain?
    curious...have many of your friends come over to spain?
    Brian Adamson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Di
    Will we see these statues when we visit?
    Dad

    ReplyDelete