22 January 2012

polenta

I only had my first taste of polenta a few weeks ago in Wichita. This little Italian restaurant, Bocconcini, makes a phenomenal polenta with a simple tomato sauce that is TO DIE FOR!

And then just a few weeks later, I went to KC to visit K&M and helped M cook what is only the BEST POLENTA RECIPE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH. (I'm apparently into capslock right now. it's cool).

And then I made that same recipe again just today and will be eating it for the next four days straight and it will be wonderful. The end.

OK not really. Roomie L helped me cook it, and then raved about it. As did roomie H.

L took lots of picture of the process, but basically, you whip up some polenta (I used the corn meal substitute because I had it on hand).



It looks delicious and creamy and a bit like yellow mashed potatoes. Mine probably came out a bit lumpier than it should, but if you carefully add the polenta while whisking, then you should avoid the lumps (My sous-chef was busy, making the maple-mascarpone topping).



Add some milk, butter and parmesan (and a bit of freshly ground black pepper to spice things up).



Bake the bacon, (and using the handy trick of covering a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, clean-up afterward is a breeze!), and then chop into pieces.




Spoon up some polenta into a bowl, top with bacon, dried cranberries and the maple-mascarpone topping, and serve.



Seriously the best thing ever, after chocolate chip cookies. 

3 comments:

  1. If I ate carbs, I would go make this right now. Well, that and if I had any of those ingredients on hand. Ok, so I have bacon, but none of the rest of it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was very good . . . but to compare it to chocolate chip cookies doesn't quite cut it. I would take chocolate chip cookies any day.

    ReplyDelete