29 June 2013

Yo, catalana

There are two things in the world that I know for sure about the way I speak Spanish. One is that I will never get rid of my accent, and the second is that it isn't noticeably marked as American. I don't generally dipthong my vowels, and I tend to pronounce the R's and D's correctly (which tend to be the most difficult consonants to master for some reason). Sometimes Latin Americans have taken me for Spanish because of my lisp, but that opinion usually changes the longer they hear me talk.

However, I've never had a Spaniard tell me that they thought I was a fellow Spaniard until this past week.

Scene:
Friend's birthday party, make some new acquaintances. Apparently afterwards, one of them tells my friend: "Oh, yeah. Diana seemed [insert random adjective here]. She's catalana, right?"

To which my friend replied, "Umm, no, she's American. What makes you think that?"

"I dunno. There's something about the way she pronounces her L's that just made me think she was catalana".
End scene

Ha!

It makes me so darned happy to know that I've got at least someone fooled when it comes to my second language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment