10 December 2016

On White Privilege

I've been thinking a lot recently about racism, privilege and the networks of both that structured this most recent election outcome.

I've also been fascinated with the tale of R. Derek Black, a former rising star in the white nationalist (code for white supremacist) movement who renounced white nationalism and apologized for the harm he had caused by promoting this ideology as a young man.

I'm not around any white nationalists (that I know of), so Black's advice on how to approach white nationalists (here) doesn't seem particularly helpful. Black seems like a curious kid whose craving for knowledge, facts and logic allowed him to think his way out of the hatred and fear that drive white nationalism/supremacy. The world is lucky that he let himself be swayed by facts and history, rather than doubling down on what he thought he knew when confronted with opposing evidence and opinions.

What I can do to interact healthily with those I know who voted the Republican ticket this year is to listen patiently and to question. Society thinks that academics have all the answers, but the real trick up our sleeves is the Socratic method. Curiosity, patience, listening and a metric-ton of questions. I will listen to their complaints, and I will hold them accountable for their vote by asking what they intend to do to protect those most vulnerable to the new administration's policies.

Life has taught me that we are all individually more powerful than we can imagine, but this election has revealed to me just how powerless many of my white (or white-identifying) acquaintances may have been feeling before. It's time to make those who chose our President-elect aware of the consequences of their privilege, and it's time to empower them to use their privilege for good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment