13 June 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (TGLaPPPS)



Some books, I finish and never look at again. Some books (recently), I haven't even finished. Some books, I finish and flip back to reread my favorite parts. Rarely, very rarely, do I finish a book and immediately flip back to page 1. TGLaPPPS was one of the latter books (which, in my opinion, is a pretty high recommendation...just sayin').

My mother has been trying to get me to read this book for a few years. But the title was weird and she'd told me that it was structured in letter form, so I balked. I just haven't had good experiences reading any books that weren't structured in a nice, simple chapter format. Anything involving diaries, entries, or even letters just doesn't normally hold my attention very well.

TGLaPPPS, however, captured my attention, with vibrant characters and a powerful story. And it all happened through various (fictional) letters and telegrams. So, if you want a sort of light summer read, you should click on the link.

1 comment:

  1. Since you ventured into the diary/letter style, try this collection of poems--
    Anna, Washing by Ted Genoways

    http://www.amazon.com/Anna-Washing-Poems-Vqr-Poetry/dp/0820332062/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276538567&sr=1-1

    It's got the historical (maybe) fiction aspect too. Set during the Klondike Gold Rush in the Yukon. And it's short but powerful!

    ReplyDelete