15 September 2010

El Rastro

Last Sunday, Christina and I also went to Madrid local flea market, El Rastro. It's ginormous and they sell just about everything. I bought some cheap sunglasses, and Christina bought a surge protector, which should tell you just how varied the offerings were.


In case you can't tell, in the above picture, one stall is selling straight up cotton clothing, and the other is selling brass clown horns and other trinkets.

The one thing that we heard about El Rastro is that you want to go early to avoid the crowds (and pickpockets). So that is what we did. well, kind of. Even early, there are still crowds.


And of course, after all that walking we had done the day before, we decided to take a quick break and grab a merienda (to escape the heat and the, you guessed it, crowds). So we stopped at this little cafe, where Christina got a coffee with churros and I ordered a strawberry batido (the Spanish version of a milkshake). I had had a really good one the other day, and I was really craving one for some reason. Unfortunately, I got this (It's the Pepto-Bismol-ey looking thing at the back):


Also unfortunate was that it kind of tasted like what I would imagine Pepto-Bismol tastes like. Which is not a strawberry milkshake. Oh well, live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment