28 September 2010

Hamburguesas

Apparently Spanish children are the most obese in all of Europe. I learned that today in a magazine, and it actually doesn't surprise me. What IS surprising is that the adults are still so freaking skinny.

"But Spanish food is so healthy, right?" I hear you say. "Isn't it a part of the Mediterranean diet that all the doctors and nutritionists were recommending a few years back?" Wrong.

Spain may form a part of the border of the Mediterranean Sea, and its diet may share some characteristics with the Mediterranean diet (like a heavy reliance on olive oil), but in reality, Spaniards like their food much like Americans like theirs: fried, greasy and full of beef. I can't count the number of times that I have eaten some sort of fried meat while I've been here, not to mention the croquetas (croquettes--delicious fried chunks of béchamel sauce, cheese and ham...kind of like a mozzarella stick, but better. Not healthier, just better.)

And of course, the side of me that actually wanted to eat healthy in Spain died when a friend and I discovered this hamburger at a restaurant 10 minutes away from school. We go there on Tuesdays when we have a relatively short lunch break.


It has egg (over-easy), bacon, beef, lettuce and tomato, and maybe cheese. I don't normally eat eggs over-easy, but it is totally worth it for this burger. It might be the best hamburger that I have ever had in my entire life, which is saying something, because it's competing with buffalo burgers AND green chile cheeseburgers. And you KNOW it's good if it can compete with those.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard of an egg on a hamburger . . . but can't fathom all the extra calories not to mention the mess! And the bun? Is that a bagel? Looks really good . . . I am sure I would weigh 10 tons if I were eating these!

    ReplyDelete