27 September 2010

On Picnics

The picnic is alive and well in Spain, in case you were a bit worried that it was dying a slow and painful death.

I'm not entirely sure when I last had a picnic (tailgates don't count), but yesterday I rediscovered how much fun they are during a 5-HOUR picnic in the Parque del Oeste with my intercambio, Laura, and a bunch of her friends.

(Intercambio is the Spanish term for a language exchange and a fun way to make new friends!)

There were bocadillos, and Tex-Mex Doritos (which basically taste like the Nacho Cheese ones), and homemade lemon cookies, and Pringles, and Fanta Naranja, and...and...sooo much food!

And then there were the games. We played soccer (kick the ball around the circle, not an actual game). We talked--some Spanish, some English, some Spanglish. And even though I said that a tailgate doesn't REALLY count as a picnic, there is at least one thing that they can have in common: FOOTBALL! That's right, even though we're in Spain and the whole wonderful, lovely and very, very American sport of football doesn't really exist here, someone brought a football to the tailgate--erm, I mean, picnic--today, and I was in heaven. We played catch for at least an hour or two. It might not have been that long, but I think it was. After all, it was a 5-HOUR PICNIC!

It was almost like being back home, at a K-State game, except instead of a parking lot, I was in a lovely, verdant green park, and instead of eating the Madre's delicious ribs, I had a bocadillo with tomato and tortilla espaƱola and a Fanta Naranja.

Thank God for football season!

PS: My Wildcats are 4-0! GO STATE!

3 comments:

  1. So you are saying your picnic was better than our tailgate with blueberry pancakes, bacon, and fruit salad? Oh, and Audi's homemade syrup? Oh, and a win? Oh, and Bella, Babs, and Sepster? Oh, and Grandpa at the game? Oh, and a scary storm at the game that looked like a tornado would arrive at any time? How could you beat all that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, that does sound awesome. But the picnic was still tons of fun! and there was none of the possibility of potential loss to bring down anyone's spirits!

    ReplyDelete