07 September 2010

SE-GO-VIA! (Part III)

I've kind of already talked about the Roman aqueduct, but I'm going to talk about it some more, because it is awesome.



2000 years old, built without mortar or concrete, and it's still going strong, transporting potable water into the city.  Anymore, it doesn't transport enough water for the needs of the citizens, but still, it still works, and I think that's amazing. Also, according to the little bio that I have, this aqueduct has even survived earthquakes (though I'm not sure where the nearest fault line is), which is even more impressive in my book.

That picture up there is where the arches are at their tallest (≈30m). This is what it looks like when you're under an arch:


The rocks are really big, and the arches are really tall, and it's really pretty awe-inspiring. Did I mention that those stones at the top don't have anything holding them together but gravity? (gulp)

More pretty pictures!





That's what I love about Segovia. It's a pretty little Spanish city, and then BAM! Ancient Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment