16 October 2010

3/4 liter of oil? That can't be right...

My wonderful, lovely mother sent me to Spain with a package for cornbread...so I could demonstrate the delights of good ol' American cooking to my housemom. I thought it was a great idea, because I love cornbread, and box mixes are fantastic. So easy, so tasty, so... easy!

Of course, we forgot to remember that ingredients/measurements/everything is different in Europe...which makes it all a little bit harder.

3/8 Cup? I'm not sure I can measure that with the cups I've got back home.
Also...what do you do when they only have olive oil? You make olive-oily cornbread.
At least the eggs and milk are the same.

Cooking with conversions can be really difficult. Especially when the conversion widget on your apple dashboard tells you that 3/8 cup is almost 3/4 liter. (It's not.) Thank goodness Maribel knows that 3/4 of a liter sounds like way, way too much oil. She may use oil like it's going out of style in other recipes, but at least she knows.

With an online (and more correct) conversion chart, we were able to guesstimate the amount of oil and milk needed.

I would love to be able to show you a picture of what it looked like fresh out of the oven, but we were so excited to try it that we just cut right in.

yumm....cornbread. fresh out of the oven. 

It was delicious, although it tasted kind of like olive oil. Maribel liked it, although she said that it is definitely better with honey.

Thank goodness it's pretty hard to mess up cornbread. Especially when you smother it with butter and honey.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Did you eat it with maple syrup? We had cornbread during the KU game . . . maybe that's why we won! I bet olive oil makes it taste weird, however!

    ReplyDelete