11 December 2010

Krakow! Part V

Friday was also the day that all the air traffic controllers in Madrid had gone on a spontaneous strike, and thus, the entire country was completely paralyzed. Basically, if my plane had left any later in the day, I wouldn't have been able to have my wonderful vacation with V! 

V and D in front of the Krakow Christmas tree!
Also, if the strike lasted for very long, I wasn't entirely sure how I would get back to Madrid to finish writing all of my papers, but...that's thinking for another day. We had a beautiful (albeit pretty foggy) weekend ahead of us, so we went out for a walk. 

Because that's what you do in foggy, cold Krakow in the winter.


We wandered by V's University (and into the university museum to warm up right in time for the English tour!). Copernicus was a student at this university (although it isn't actually the place where he formed his whole heliocentric theory of the solar system, they're still pretty proud of his presence in their halls).

Then, we wandered by a cloistered convent, where I took this picture as evidence of the ridiculous amounts of snowfall in Krakow.


Seriously. There was a LOT of snow. And I didn't even have a snowball fight or make a snowman or anything.

Also, please remember that those last two pictures were taken without my being able to see the picture itself. Other than cutting off the top of the fountain (I can only guess that that is what the second picture is, given all the snow), I think I did a pretty good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment