01 January 2011

NYR: 2011

Happy New Year!!!

We take New Year's Resolutions pretty seriously here in DNortonLand.

Well, we didn't until 2010, but then, things got real: I actually completed a resolution and I'm not about to back down now. As you may have read here, 2010's Great Letter Project was a rousing success (by New Year's Resolution standards, which means that it lasted through December). So I decided to try to make the 2011 NYR even more awesome. And by awesome, I mean legendary.

December was kind of a rough month in Madrid. Not going home for the holidays made me realize that I haven't really built a strong community in Spain. Whatever love I once had for Madrid is evaporating in the stress of PhD applications and a Master's thesis. I want to fall in love with this city again, and I'm using New Year's Resolutions as a way to achieve that. This particular NYR has 3 parts.

Part 1:

Row at the Retiro 3 times a week.  I'm living much closer to the Retiro than I was, so I don't have laziness as an excuse, and I joined the club way back in September. Also, I love rowing: it's a great way to meet people, like the cute guy who is always biking. We're just a few months away from a real, audible connection.

(This is where the Pioneer Woman would say, "Name that movie!" but in this case, it would be "Name that internet sensation!")

Part 2 is a little more complicated. A friend found a list on the internet: 100 things to do in Madrid before you die.

For those who can't (or refuse to) read Spanish, I'll be posting an English translation of the list in a separate post. Some of the items are a little ridiculous, like build a snowman in the Retiro, or throw a snowball at a stranger. It can get cold in Madrid, but it rarely snows, so chances are, I will substitute these two items with others that I find more doable.

The 2011 NYR is to complete this list by the time I leave in July. I've already completed about 30 of them. That leaves 70 to complete in approximately 24 weeks. I think I can handle that.

And Part 3:

I'm now living 15 minutes walking distance from this church. I plan to go there every Sunday that I spend in Madrid. (Note: This does not mean every single Sunday. It could be that I travel somewhere one weekend and can't make it to church. that's cool. but if I am in Madrid, I'll be there at 11:30AM for services.)

We'll see how these go!

1 comment:

  1. Find a vendor selling snow cones and make eyes, nose, mouth, etc before with tooth picks. Then see if you can talk them into giving you three unflavored scoops of ice to build your snow man. Or Mom says use Cake balls.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete