11 January 2011

NYR #59: Leer en un banco en Plaza de Colón

This is another of the surprisingly easy items on the list (especially since it doesn't specify just how long you have to read...nor does it specify that what you read has to be in Spanish). I kind of took a little detour on the way home from NYU today in order to complete this one.

Mama Norton has been pressuring me to read her book (yes...she is working on ANOTHER book. If you want to check out her last book, which relates the history of the Pecos and Holy Ghost Canyons in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico, click here). I had printed off her history of the Independent School in Wichita and gotten it bound this morning, and I figured there was no better way to pass an afternoon than to check it out.

So, I wandered on over to Plaza de Colón, sat myself down on a bench, shot a picture of me "reading" the manuscript (I can't really multi-task, so it only looks like I'm reading while I'm taking the picture), and then settled into actually read a few pages while I was there.

I like Plaza de Colón, although it isn't my favorite plaza in Madrid. It's close to the Biblioteca Nacional (my least favorite library in the world, but at least it's pretty!), and Calle Serrano (the super-fancy street) runs along one side. However, this plaza looks like something out of Soviet Russia (or out of the 70s--sometimes I can't tell) in that it is mostly concrete/paved with brick/decidedly not pretty/green/nature-y/all of the above. But that makes it perfect for all the skateboarders and trick bikers who hang out there.

Now that I think about it...It's actually kind of weird to read on a bench in this plaza. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing it was built for. Also, it doesn't really provide the idyllic setting I expect when I go outside to read. but oh well. Here is me with the Biblioteca Nacional in the background, a manuscript in my hand, and my reading face all set.


And Mama Norton's book, A School like no Other, is quite fun. It's about the school that she helped create and that I had the privilege to attend from elementary to high school. Once she gets it printed (which could be awhile, not gonna lie), you should check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment