01 March 2011

NYR #9: See the fountain at Cibeles

This one is kind of difficult NOT to do. The Plaza at Cibeles is smack-dab in the center of Madrid, and whenever I want to go to the Prado, for instance, I have to walk through it.

The thing is, I haven't really taken a photo of it, at least not since I was here in 2007.

So, on my way to the Prado the other day to meet up with a friend, I stopped to take a pic.


Cibeles is Spanish for the goddess Ceres (I think). There's actually three fountains along the Paseo del Prado (Cibeles, Apollo, and Neptuno) all designed by the same architect: Ventura Rodríguez. Cibeles is the fountain where all of the Real Madrid fans celebrate their wins. Neptuno is where all of the Barça (Barcelona) fans celebrate their wins. And pretty much everyone forgets that Apollo exists, because he's kind of hidden along the Paseo.

1 comment: