11 April 2011

NYR #25: See the bonsais in the Royal Botanical Gardens

Right next to the Prado are the Jardines Reales Botánicos. That's right: Royal Botanical Gardens. And we all know what that means...

FLOWERS!!!

This week has really been the start of just absolutely beautiful perfect Spanish weather. 80º and sunny every single day, and Saturday was no exception. Friend Veronica came to visit, and since it was so pretty (and since she's been locked up in a library in Krakow all winter, and it still isn't particularly sunny there), I decided that the perfect thing to do would be to enjoy the Spanish sunshine.



With flowers.

First, there were the camellias. Lots and lots of lovely pink camellias. 



Some were even salmon-colored and all were absolutely beautiful.


They've convinced me that they should be my new favorite flower.



Then, we might have gone tip-toeing through some tulips.





And of course, we couldn't actually cross this one off the list until we saw the bonsais. 




I didn't really realize that bonsai just meant 'miniature tree' before coming to these gardens. For some reason, I thought that they were the crazy bamboo trees that people have cut and shaped into awesome sculptures. But I was wrong.


There are maybe 20 different bonsai trees in an exhibition. They're pretty cute and very unique.




But I think I preferred all the flowers.

1 comment:

  1. Hola!

    Let me introduce myself...Tiffany, 28+5, and I have recently been accepted into the NYU-Madrid program for the 2011-2012 school year. I have LOVED reading about some of your adventures since being in Spain...I've even adopted your list off 100 things to do before leaving Madrid! (I'm soooo glad you posted that one)

    If there is any insight that you can give to me about your program or the city itself, it would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks for reading and as I make my way through all of your blogs from this past year...I will be sure to leave some comments.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete