15 April 2011

NYR #26: Go out for tapas in the Mercado San Miguel

Back in March, when friend Aubrey was here, one of the first things we did was go out for tapas at the Mercado San Miguel. I mentioned this place in an earlier post as one of two remaining buildings with a French Belle Epoque architectural style, and it just so happens that it only recently became a super-posh place to go out for tapas.



Before its renovation, it was just a local neighborhood marketplace. Now, the people in this neighborhood don't really have a local market and have to drive to a supermarket that is kind of far away in order to get their groceries. That doesn't really sound so bad in American terms, given that we all have to drive to the store for our food. But here in Madrid, where a good percentage of the people might not have a car (or might try to use one as little as possible), it's not cool.

(Plus, I kind of live for the days that I get to hit up my neighborhood market and chat up my butchers. They always make me laugh.)



Aubs and I had a great time sampling some various tapas. The ones in the picture are some seafood bruschetta-type things. I think Aubs was being adventurous and tried the octopus. It's really quite delicious.

Nevertheless, going out for tapas at the Mercado San Miguel is a fun, albeit expensive, experience.

And it's definitely worth doing at least once in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment