19 June 2011

NYR #42: Start a day with churros from San Gines

This is another one from WAY back in March (but it gets repeated with just about every visitor that I have had, so it counts that I haven't written about it until now).

So when I was a child, Saturday mornings, my dad and I would go get donuts at Winchell's. I always had a very specific donut request: strawberry with strawberry icing, or plain with sprinkles.

Winchell's has long since gone out of business, and frankly, the thought of eating donuts kind of makes my stomach turn a bit (they're just TOO sweet). But churros in Spain...those never go out of style.

Pure awesomeness

Let me introduce you. The churro: straight-up fried dough that you can coat in powdered sugar and dip in chocolate. Or just dip into chocolate. Or dip into coffee, if you're into that sort of thing.

The first time I ate at San Gines, with Aubs, I wasn't able to finish the chocolate. The second time, I finished my chocolate. The third time (with Vica) I finished mine and maybe had a little of hers. The fourth time, with Max and Ashley, I definitely finished my chocolate and about half of Ashley's.

Basically, it's delicious. And I want to go back right about now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment