21 June 2011

NYR #7: Take a photo at the statue of the Oso y el Madroño

If you've been paying attention to the news in Spain recently, you'll know that the very center of this city, Sol, has been occupied with a whole bunch of people protesting.

By camping out.

Seriously, there was like a mini-city inside the city. (And though there was some form of civic organization within the spontaneous tent city, there wasn't so much that it didn't make me really appreciate the existence of government and the rule of law. So thank you government. I know I rag on you a lot, but when it comes to building infrastructure and maintaining sewage systems, you're kind of hard to beat.)



Sol is also where one of the most famous images of Madrid is located: The statue of the Oso y el Madroño (literally: bear and strawberry tree--but I don't think strawberries grow on trees). I'm fairly positive that I've covered it elsewhere on the blog.



Luckily for me, I took all the pix of the statue that I needed to long before the protesters set up camp. (get it? they were actually camping out!!). It's served me well as a great meeting point right in the center of town (on any given weekend night, there are probably hundreds of people who agree to meet up at the statue, and somehow, they all manage to find each other in the crowd), and I'm kind of glad the protests are mostly done so that I can have it back (metaphorically speaking).



No comments:

Post a Comment