30 September 2016

Get out and vote!

Thank goodness for the volunteer group Rock the Vote!

During Fulbright Orientation, they set up a table, and I stopped by to request my absentee ballot. I would have had NO IDEA how to vote from Madrid otherwise and would have lost my opportunity to vote in such a crazy election.

I got my ballot in my inbox earlier this week and printed it off on Tuesday (just before I watched the debate)!

It feels really poignant to fill it out this year, not only because I'm so far from home. I know so many people just hate Hillary Rodham Clinton with such a deep visceral disgust (or at least, it feels like I do). And yet, I'm proud to finally FINALLY be able to cast my vote for a woman.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3ub0utCmw1qe2ha5o1_250.gif

So many people have argued for so long about how they were ready for a woman to be elected, just not THIS woman. Heck, that was Carly Fiorina's whole campaign!

To those people, I say, "Fie! A pox on all your houses!" That argument is one of the most deeply misogynistic statements because there would then never be a first female president of the United States. No woman in the entire world would have been able to meet society's expectations in order to become her.

Just look at how hard HRC has had it for proof. That woman has had to draw some impenetrable armor on for her entire life so that others might have better lives themselves. And then she gets criticized for being too withdrawn. I, for one, am grateful for the sacrifices that she has made (even in spite of the scandals) to ensure that our country works for everyone: men, women, children. Immigrants and those whose families immigrated generations ago. Muslims, Christians and Scientologists alike.

And so, I am proud to be casting my ballot for Hillary Rodham Clinton. I am ready for a female president, and I am ready for THIS female president. #ImWithHer



No comments:

Post a Comment