14 September 2016

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Let me share with you an anecdote of the first day that I arrived in Spain this year. 

I hauled all my suitcases up 4 flights of stairs (I cannot stress this enough), and while I was unpacking, my new roommate/landlady, C, turned on the television to see what movies the Spanish channels were showing. It's pretty common that Spanish television replays old Spanish and (dubbed) Hollywood films in the afternoons and evenings. 

(Sidenote: most of the collection at the Filmoteca Nacional--The National Film Archive that I use a lot to watch old Spanish films and dubbed/censored not Spanish films--is actually videos recorded from when these movies were aired on Spanish TV in the 80s. The commercials that you have to fast-forward through make for an AMAZING viewing experience.) 

So, I'm unpacking, and I hear this exclamation, "¡Ay, esto es una reliquia!" It turns out the movie that C turned on was Siete novias para siete hermanos (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers). Great film, amazing dance scenes--a classic of the Hollywood studio system that I definitely watched at some point in middle school, an age when it seems like all American girls go through a Classic Hollywood phase (or maybe that was just preppy American pre-teens in Wichita). 

But there is something about this film that seems to spark especially strong reactions in Spain. Not just C's exclamation that it is a relic (a good, ageless relic), but a whole film came out in 2013 in homage to Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, so sometimes it seems to me that in Spain, there might be more of an attachment to this film than there is even in the States. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how attached Americans are to this film? If it was on TV, would you have a deeply nostalgic reaction, or would you move on to watch football or HGTV or something else? 

1 comment:

  1. Well, Music Theatre is doing it next year in Wichita. It is a very popular stage show!

    ReplyDelete