24 October 2016

Spanish comidas & sobremesas

There's a reason a blog post didn't go up on Saturday. It's not a particularly good one. Basically, I didn't write in the morning (instead cleaned the kitchen and had a nice long chat with my roommate about the horrors of domestic abuse and gender violence--you know, your typical Saturday morning breakfast conversation), and then I had a lunch that started at 2 and ended at 11pm. So there went my Saturday.

A bunch of women from my year and the year after just happen to be in Madrid this year, so the former director of my masters' program decided to invite us all over to his house for a mini-reunion. Even when we're in the US, most of us are scattered around, so this is the first time I've seen many of these women in a long time.

We all got there around 2 and started off with some vermouth and appetizers (sausage and crackers, olives, cheese, lox and cream cheese crackers with caviar, etc...), and then moved on to the wine, the two different tortillas espaƱolas, the arroz al horno, and the champagne and dessert pastries.

And then came the cocktails.

We laughed and chatted about all of the shenanigans that happened during our masters, caught up with what people were doing and with what others in the program were now up to. We chatted about the election, about life in Spain, about why some of us had stayed in academia and others had left.

Actually, I think a 9-hour long Spanish comida is the perfect excuse for not writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment