05 December 2016

El Museo de Romanticismo

Madrid has all sorts of great museums dedicated to various parts of Spanish history and culture. Thanks to my annual pass, I get to visit all of the state-sponsored museums in the city for free (and a few in other cities as well).

One Saturday, I visited the Romanticism Museum, or a museum dedicated to the art and lifestyle of the 19th century. They had an awesome exhibit dedicated to the fashions of the Romantic period (think mid-late 1800s--it arrived to Spain a little later than it did to Northern Europe). I loved looking at all the trends in dresses and marveling at how tiny people were back then (in part thanks to corsets, but also in part thanks to malnutrition and just general shortness).

The only pictures that I took were of furnishings, though. Like these terrarium-type things.


And this chair.


I'm fairly positive it's a toilet, which gives new meaning to the slang term, "throne". I guess back in the 19th century, some toilets were literally velvet-covered thrones!

No comments:

Post a Comment