06 December 2016

On self-care: Skin Brushing

One of the main things I've done since moving to Madrid has been to continue figuring out the sort of lifestyle changes I need to be able to live more-or-less trichotillomania-free. It's touch and go because I'm really bad at privileging self-care when there's research and writing and fun times with friends!

I'm better at it when there's someone around who I can bounce things off of and structure my schedule to fit theirs (ahem, ).

Luckily, my roommate is very into self-care, and she's taught me a few things. Like, the need for vitamins and probiotics. And for a weekly cleaning/tidying regimen.

I also read the book CLEAN a few weeks ago, and got inspired to strengthen my liver chi (just go with it, guys). So I've been drinking more water in the morning, and trying to avoid eating solid food for 12 hours between breakfast and dinner. Haven't gotten to the actual elimination diet part of the plan yet to see if any foods really bother me, but I have started skin brushing.

You guys!!! LET ME TELL ABOUT SKIN BRUSHING!!!

Before I left Austin, I spoiled myself with a massage + body brushing treatment at Milk and Honey Spa. It was so cozy and lovely, and I got to take the (horse-hair) brush with me!



Body brushing and skin brushing are the same thing, and basically, you briskly rubs stiff horsehair brush in the direction of your heart--starting from your toes and working upwards (I skip my face, but I think that's ok). At first, it feels excessively rough, but it satisfies itches that I didn't know I had--providing tons of sensory stimulation that I didn't know I needed.

It exfoliates skin cells, AND it really promotes circulation. And most importantly, I have not been cold since I started doing this. 

Skin/body brushing. It's a thing, and it's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment