27 June 2010

DNortonLand (Part II)

Today I burnt the waffles.  This is one of the negative side effects of such a wonderfully imaginary world as DNortonLand: it sometimes proves too distracting to complete everyday activities.

In nearly burning the house down today, I am reminded of a time long ago when DNortonLand distracted me from another burning appliance: the toaster.

8-year-old me popped some bread in the toaster for breakfast, then promptly sat down at the kitchen table to read the funnies, or maybe a book.  Regardless, it was very engrossing.  So engrossing, in fact, that when the toaster's pop-up mechanism failed, and my toast started burning, and flames and smoke starting spewing out, creeping ever higher until they almost reached our wooden cabinets, I was completely oblivious.

Luckily, my mother noticed the acrid scent of smoke wafting through the house, and raced into the kitchen to heroically douse the flames in the kitchen sink (after unplugging the appliance, of course!)

And today, my father noticed the intense, burnt waffle-y scent permeating the air and raced to the kitchen to save the day.

They actually don't look too bad in this picture.


But compare them to what they are supposed to look like:



And there you go.  Burnt waffles. Delicious.

Sadly, the real victim of my oblivion is the dogs.  See, our waffle maker won't stay latched shut, so it doesn't cook evenly.  And in order to keep the top down, I set the heavy jar of dog peanut butter (the stuff we use to coat their pills) on top.  And its plastic kind of melted on one side.  So now we have the  Leaning Tower of Peanut Butter.


Ahhh, DNortonLand, you are a perilous place for an innocent jar of peanut butter.

1 comment:

  1. Classic DNortandland! This story does not surprise me at all consdering I have been told by you that you would be at my dorm in 2 minutes and then had to call you 40 minutes later when you did not show up multiple times. Oh, the excitement of everyday life within DNortonland!

    ReplyDelete