27 June 2010

The Pillars of the Earth

Only one of my most favorite books ever.  I can read it again and again (and I have).  It's actually my idea of the perfect novel: sweeping in scope, with intrigue, war, passion and heartache.  Historical, fictional, and just plain good.

I normally don't like to see my favorite books made into shows, so discovering that this delightful story was soon to be an 8 part miniseries (airing on Starz in July) was a little sad.  But then I realized that the 1300-page count is a little off-putting to some people, so it's probably not a bad thing.  And maybe it will encourage them to go read the book!  (It reads like something half its length, I swear!)

Plus, the cast includes Ian McShane and Rufus Sewell.  'Nuff said.

Finally, I really like that this book is a complete departure from the rest of Follett's work, and yet it's the one that he's best known for.

No comments:

Post a Comment