11 September 2016

Goals for Fulbright Year

I like to set a lot of goals. This past year, I made about 20 New Year's Resolutions. I don't expect myself to complete them all within the year, in fact some of them fall by the wayside as I focus on other goals, or as I find that they no longer fit with my aims in life.

For instance, I've thought for a while that I would like to get certified in Medical Interpretation. I think it wouldn't be too hard--just a matter of completing the course and sitting for the certification exam. So that became a New Year's Resolution of mine for 2016, but I don't think it will happen before 2017, if it happens at all. It would be nice to have the license so that I could interpret on the side or as a volunteer, or even so that I could then teach Medical Translation/Interpretation classes in the future, but with the Fulbright, life is definitely taking me in a different direction for now.

I make birthday resolutions, too. My birthday always coincides with the start of the academic year, so it's a nice time to check in with my New Year's Resolutions and see how they're going, and to think forward to the school year about what I want to accomplish academically. I made about 10 of those this year, too.

And to top it all off, the Fulbright Commission has encouraged us not only to think about specific goals to have in mind over the course of the year--to be flexible in implementing them, but to have them nonetheless. So I got to thinking over this past week, and I came up with another 10-ish goals for this Fulbright year. Some are related to birthday and New Year's Resolutions, others not so much. And none of them are set in stone. I'm not going to cry or break down if I'm not progressing as much as I hoped on all of them. Mostly, I just want to make sure that I have some direction for this year in Madrid, so that I don't get completely lost.

Without further ado, here are my goals for the Fulbright year:

  1. Finish my dissertation (I actually want to have a complete draft by early February).
  2. Foster a good working relationship with my Fulbright advisor.
  3. Continue with strategies for self-care (You'll read more about these every Tuesday).
  4. Apply to 10 TT jobs (at a minimum).
  5. Finish article on Hispanidad and US Ambassador
  6. Develop an article on María Félix to submit to Celebrity Studies
  7. Develop article/presentation on Terenci Moix's memoirs about Hollywood film stars. 
  8. Develop a presentation on Daniel Sánchez Arévalo's 2013 film, La gran familia española
  9. Write a novel
  10. Blog regularly (so far, so good)
  11. Brush up on literary and film canon
  12. Travel to Autonomous Regions and cities that I haven't yet visited (Galicia, Extremadura, Asturias, Salamanca, Valladolid, there are others)
  13. Enjoy living in Madrid!
Some of these are intentionally vague. Some of them won't be completed this year. But if I don't write them down and share them, I have no accountability to complete any of them. Now we'll see which ones are the most important by how quickly I check them off!

No comments:

Post a Comment