21 October 2016

On Self-Care: Stasis

It's been COLD here these past few days. Gray and rainy and just frigid.

Autumns in Madrid can get like this, but I had totally forgotten, since I've always come back in summer. The problem is, most buildings are still on old radiator systems, and they don't turn the heat on until they absolutely have to.

I don't like the cold. My body doesn't like the cold (though maybe that's just because I've been living in Texas for the past five years). And when my body is cold, the BFRB comes back with a vengeance.

So I'm constantly searching for ways to keep warm, but not too warm.

Exercise helps with blood flow, as does eating warm soups (I made my signature roasted carrot soup this evening). When I was living in Austin, I discovered that acupuncture really truly helped me feel like a human (rather than a cold-blooded lizard in need of a sunbeam and a warm rock).

But the thing that helps the most here is blankets. Loads and loads of blankets. I even put the down comforter on my bed last night so that I would warm up. Carmen tells me I'm going to melt, but I didn't last night and I practically went to bed in sweats.

But also, blankets like this one that my aunt made for me before I left. I'll tell you more about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment